Parma Ham P.D.O.
It is the story of a land, its people and their traditions, that throughout the centuries have worked with passion to create a naturally genuine product with refined and elegant taste: The Prosciutto of Parma.
In order to protect the quality of the product a Prosciutto di Parma consortium arose in 1963: an organization of producers – then 23 of and now over 170 – who use and preserve the old fashioned method in the making.
World’s most famous prosciutto can only be made here, among the sweet smelling hills of Parma: its unique clime make this area the ideal place for the long aging process of the prosciutto, which makes the Prosciutto di Parma tasteful and delicate. A really special kind of pig is selected for the Prosciutto di Parma. Born and raised in 11 regions of North-Central Italy, exclusively from selected breeds, fostered with quality food: cereal and whey derived from the processing of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Prosciutto di Parma is one of an elite group of foods designated by the European Union as PDO (Protected Designation of Origin), certifying that the product has been made according to traditional methods in a defined geographic region.
What you need to know about Prosciutto di Parma:
- Produced only in the Italian province of Parma
- Produced with just four ingredients: the hind legs of specially bred and fed Italian pigs, sea salt, air and time
- A 100% natural product: no additives or preservatives are allowed
- Air-cured a minimum of 12 months and up to 30 months
- Easily traceable through all stages of production
- “Parma” Crown, the fire brand of the Consortium guarantees the authenticity of Prosciutto of Parma.